Wednesday, September 24, 2014

"Hard" is an important part of life. Accept hard. Work through hard. Make "hard" a challenge that will not beat you.

Helloooo!!


So my mom sent me this picture and asked if I was drowning!!!






MOM!!!! I'm fine!!! The floods are normal. I can't even count the times I have walked in water up to my knees (in the middle of the street) but it's good and makes for great adventures.


 Most of the time, when a flood hits, we go to members' or investigators' houses and ask if we can help bail water out of their houses. They are okay though. Because it happens so often, it's kinda just part of life so they don't get mad or discouraged or anything.. Just tired.

I love these people. They focus on simple things in life like family. They don't need too much to be happy!


Okay, this was an awesome week. 

We had lots of meetings in regard to what is called the iPEACE Interfaith Religion Festival that is being held this week. 

There were 4 zones and 3 stakes involved. What happens is basically all the religions in the surrounding areas come and set up booths and invite everyone to learn - (basically what our wonderful church does every day). We had different zones scheduled for the different days. Central Zone (ours) was yesterday so from 3-9pm we were at Plaza Independencia talking to EVERYONE. 

I can't even explain how tired I was last night.
Cleaning up after the festival
We helped the Assistants take the materials back to the mission office after and then did our best to get home as quickly as we could, but wow... that was a long day. 

And I loved it :)













The streets after the festival. Crazy.









But this week I actually wanted to write a little more specific letter today for those who are planning on serving missions and those who already are. 


About something that I have learned that I can't imagine not understanding as a missionary.  It's all about mission life. 

I was studying a few days ago in Preach My Gospel and found two sentences that got me thinking:




1) "You should not, however, become discouraged; discouragement will weaken your faith. 
2) "When you have done your very best, you may still experience disappointments, but you will not be disappointed in yourself."

Under the topic of "A Successful Missionary", I found these two sentences super super insightful. 

So I did a study on them. When searched in the Topical Guide, "Discouraged" reads "See also Afraid", meaning that these two words are closely related. I thought about it and realized that's so true..

 After being rejected 5 times, naturally, we wouldn't want to try again for fear of just being rejected a 6th time; therefore, we feel discouraged. 

A mission is hard. I don't know how many times I have said that in my emails, but it's so true! The difference here is that we understand that WE NEED TO DO HARD THINGS. We cannot go through our mission or our lives shrinking from HARD things. 

One of my favorite all time scriptures is Section 122 in the Doctrine and Covenants. Verse 7 reads: 

And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness,and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience,and shall be for thy good.

IF WE ALLOW IT, all things will be for our good.

 I then went on to study a little in Alma 26:

Verses 29-30: And we have entered into their houses and taught them, and we have taught them in their streets; yea, and we have taught them upon their hills; and we have also entered into their temples and their synagogues and taught them; and we have been cast out,and mocked, and spit upon, and smote upon our cheeks; and we have been stoned, and taken and bound with strong cords, and cast into prison; and through the power and wisdom of God we have been delivered again.  And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some.

I love this. That is my life every single day. Well, I'll be honest.. I haven't been smoted upon (sp?), stoned, or cast into prison. 

As missionaries, we have every reason to be discouraged, but instead, we CHOOSE to have faith. We choose to keep going to find that one soul. It's a choice. And that's where our attitude comes in. One thing I have learned is how in control we are of our own attitudes. So be happy!! Why would anyone not want to be happy?!

This is what I gained in my personal studies: Satan won't be stopping any time soon - what matters is that we start to accept his role in the Plan. We need to stop asking ourselves why these trials or hard things come into our lives. We need to understand their purpose and their importance.

 Brigham Young has an amazing quote that I LOVE!

"Do not imagine that I am in the least finding fault with the Devil. I would not bring a railing accusation against him, for he is fulfilling his office and calling manfully; he is more faithful in his calling than are many of the people."

"Hard" is an important part of life. Accept hard. Work through hard. Make "hard" a challenge that will not beat you.

Disappointment is a negative part of life - especially mission life - but that doesn't mean we let Satan win and let this disappointment negatively affect us. 

I know and have a testimony that Satan is doing exactly what he needs to.
We just need to fulfill our part and prove to our Heavenly Father that we can win the battle. 
I know that each and every one of us has the power to do this. I know that, no matter how hard, boring, or stressful a situation may be on the mission, or in school, or in life, we have the power to control our attitude. 

So let's do it! I know that we have the BEST reason to be happy! We have the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ!! I love it. And I love all of you. Keep on doing what you know you need to be doing... And let's do it with a good attitude :)

Love,
Elder Jacobs