Tuesday, April 22, 2014

General Conference was the BEST!

I loved the themes of General Conference. General Conference is twice a year when the Prophet, Pres. Thomas S. Monson, and church leaders speak to us about the things that are important today.


The conference is televised so that people all over the world can watch and listen at the same time! 

Some of the themes of General Conference were courage to stand strong, love one another, and learn the doctrine. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to hear our living prophets and apostles speak to us. If you haven't seen, heard, or read any of it. DO IT! Haha just log onto LDS.org and it is all there. I love you all and just want you to feel how I feel.


 Remember last week? I said the biggest thing I have learned on my mission is that understanding the Doctrine of Jesus Christ changes people.

 I want to refer to four speakers at conference. 

1) President Uchtdorf Sunday AM: "When the Apostles understood who their Savior was, they were changed completely" 

2) President Packer Sunday PM: "In the church [of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints], we know who He is." 

3) Elder Michael John U. Teh Sunday PM: One of the treasures we should seek for in heaven is "understanding the doctrine of Christ and strengthen our testimony of it." 

4) Elder Bednar Sunday AM: "As we study and learn more about the Atonement of Christ, we allow ourselves to gain more load, giving us traction to get home." 

I apologize if the quotes weren't exactly as they were said, but you get the picture. Doctrine changes us. In some instances it changes our behavior into something better. In other instances, it increases our spiritual capacity to withstand or do more - allowing us to grow more than we thought we could. 

But my question was, why? Why does just understanding doctrine change us? The truth is, it doesn't. 

It's what understanding doctrine makes us DO that changes us. In Jarom 1:12 we learn why. "They did prick their hearts with the word, continually stirring them up unto repentance." Repentance is what changes us. As we learn and understand more, we learn and understand what it is that we need to be doing - so, in consequence, we change. We become more like our Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ.

I love the Gospel Of Jesus Christ and I love the changes I have gone through as I understand Gospel principles!!
Love,
Elder Jimmy Jacobs