Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Kamusta!!!
Okay, well I'm gunna be honest... After my last email home, I realized that I am really failing on this whole "Email-Home-Thing". I never share any funny stories or anything like that. I'm so sorry!!! There are always things happening here I just forget to right them in my email. Haha so at the end of this email, we'll have some fun story time :)

First off, I want to share an experience I had that truly led me to ponder this calling I have on my mission right now. As I share this though, it applies to everyone who is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ. 

About a week ago, Elder Buckley and I were heading to a return appointment for some newish investigators - Stephanie and Renan. They are a young couple with one small son. When we met them, we taught the Restoration and Joseph Smith and they LOVED IT. They were very receptive and Stephanie actually came to a party we had at the church later that week. Anyways, as Elder Buckley and I got to there house, Renan wasn't there, just Stephanie. She called out the window to Renan and he came up. He went on to say that Stephanie's parents are extremely Catholic and they commanded them to not listen to us. He said we weren't allowed to come back. 

Being the new missionaries we both are, we didn't know exactly what to do. I just gave them another pamphlet and wrote our name and phone number on the back. I said that if they ever wanted us to come back, just call the number. Then we left. As we were heading back home, I felt horrible. I didn't ask any questions or try to understand what they were thinking and feeling. I didn't even try anything. That whole night I was thinking about this. 

As missionaries, we are called to preach the true Gospel of Jesus Christ with EVERYTHING
that we have. Everything. I didn't fulfill my purpose that night. So, I told Elder Buckley we needed to go back. By this time, it was too late at night. The next day, we went straight to their house. I had no idea what I was going to do, but I had to do something. 

We have something that every single person in this world HAS to have. They need it. If they want Salvation, there is literally no other way. We got there and I still didn't know what to say. I just knocked on the door.. Renan answered and was surprised to see us again because he just told us the night before not to come back. We kinda just stood there and looked at each other for a minute. Then I just said, "Renan, I felt like I needed to come back here. We want you to know that we love you both and we care about you. We know that our message will bless your life and we know that you need it." I went on to just bear my testimony a little bit and the Spirit was so strong. Nothing changed - he didn't say we could teach them - but I can say that I did my best. 

There is a scripture in Jacob 1:19 and it says: "And we did magnify our office unto the Lord, taking upon us the responsibility, answering the sins of the people upon our own heads if we did not teach them the word of God with all diligence; wherefore, by laboring with our might their blood might not come upon our garments; otherwise their blood would come upon our garments, and we would not be found spotless at the last day." This applies to every single one of us who knows the truth, but even more to me at this time in my life. I am called to serve with everything I have, with ALL diligence. And we are held accountable if we don't. 

What I learned from this experience is to always do my best. Leave everything out there. I have to. We have to. I know that as we strive to share this gospel with the world, there will be trials and hardships. There will be people that reject us. But we do the best we can. That's all Our Heavenly Father asks of us. Part of consecrating this time in my life includes giving everything I have, every minute of every day. I am so happy to do it.

I am so grateful to have this opportunity to be out here on my mission right now. I love this work. There are times when it is SO HARD, but whenever those hard times come, there are always little blessings and tender mercies given to us by our Father who loves us so much.. 


Elder Buckley and I were coming home last night and a few guys (that live right next to us)
were sitting outside with a flashlight and what looked like a home made gun. I asked what they were doing and they said they were hunting "Bucknits" (which are monsters). Hahah I just laughed and stood there for a minute. I asked if there really were monsters and they got all excited and were like "of course". One of them ran over a little ways and came back with a bat. Dead. Shot with this homemade marble gun. The bats are the monsters in the trees hahahah. No, mother I didn't not touch the bat and get rabies, don't worry:) Haha thought that was awesome though.


Anyways, sorry this was a little longer than usual, but I felt like you all really needed to know these things. Know that I am doing amazing over here and I can't wait for February 1st because I have my first baptisms! Devine and Geneveve! They are doing great and still on track!! I love you all so much! I'm doing the best I can over here! Love you!!

Love,
Elder James Ryan Jacobs