Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Mission Weather Update: TYPHOON GLENDA

So, as some of you may have seen or heard, the weather here has been quite the adventure. I say "some of you," but I just
Just keep swimming, just keep swimming......
realized that not a single person except my parents probably look at the weather in the Philippines... 


Haha anyways, we have been getting rain non-stop for DAYS! Typhoon Glenda is ripping through the mid/northern part of the islands..a Storm Signal 3 Typhoon. We are not in the middle of it but I woke up a couple nights ago and I literally almost wet the bed. 

I thought the house was falling to pieces. The thunder was the loudest I have ever heard it in my life. ( I was born and raised in Southern California...I've never experienced "weather"!!) The entire house was shaking. And the lightning lit up our entire room for like 5 seconds straight at a time. 

We need to get over to that house...





So, what do we do during Typhoon weather? We continue on through the work like normal days! 




I love working in the rain - rain makes me even happier :) 



But we were traveling out to one of our areas in Sumiliring Beach and the entire street was completely flooded. 

The pictures should give a little insight. I'm sorry about the shoes, mom. We had zero options but to walk through it. 

That made for a very, very wet rest of the day! I loved it! 

We've got the streets to ourselves!!

Well almost....
Don't even worry about me! Weather cannot stop this great work that we are doing! And the people are so nice to us when we are out in the wind and rain!! ;)


Well......most people......

 We were passing an investigator's house the we had taught about 3 times in the past. It has been about a month since we have been able to even see him again - he is never home. He was sitting outside of his house when we passed. So of course, we start talking to him and checking up on how he is! Natural, right? Right.

Talked about work, family, life. Then we got to the point where the conversation is supposed to turn spiritual. Elder Rowley says, "Kamusta ang imong pagbasa, brother?" (How is your reading [of the BoM]). Immediately, he throws down his fishing-line-buoy-ball- thingy on the ground as hard as he could and starts SCREAMING. I mean SCREAMING and yelling at us. He stood up, grabbed his chair and came toward us with it.

HA! We just turned around and walked away as he ran inside his house and grabbed some kind of metal baseball bat looking thing and stands in his yard yelling. Hmmm.....

Anyways, long story short, half of me wishes ALL investigators were a little bit more bold. It makes our job much easier to know whether people are looking for the Gospel! Man was that awesome. It made it in my journal :) We just don't have any aggressive people here!




Sunday was amazing as usual. I love Sundays on the mission. Especially when everything just comes together. Elder Rowley and I had a record here in Siaton with 9 investigators attending church. We felt so so so blessed and grateful that we have been given this portion of the vineyard to take care of. We are working as hard as we can and are realizing every single week areas where we can improve!

I just can't sleep on a bus!!
On Monday we had Zone Interviews out in Bayawan with President McCurdy! He and his wife are so awesome! They are from Twin Falls Idaho! I think that's opposite of Rexburg, Jon? Or at least a few hours?

Anyways, our interview went great and we got to know each other a little bit better. As I was sitting in the interview and then pondering after I couldn't help but just marvel at how the Lord truly calls these righteous men and women to lead His kingdom on Earth. I have no doubt that President McCurdy is the perfect Mission President for the Cebu Mission at this time. I love him and his wife and look forward to getting to know them even more!

Tuesday we had District Meeting because we had Interviews on Monday. It went good! Hopefully... Haha I love having these opportunities to meet as a Zone and learn from one another. 

I wanted to just finish with one thing I have been focusing on this last week.... the Doctrine of Accountability.

Latter Day Saints have always been known for their industrious, hands-on attitude and work ethic.

We can learn from Nephi in 2 Nephi 5:15-17 about what he taught his people.

This week, I focused on being even more pro-active. We are all given opportunities in this life.
We know we are judged according to desires and actions - meaning how well we take care of the opportunities given to us. I know that we will all get to the day of judgment and, with a perfect remembrance, have to report to the Lord.

Many people constantly repeat the truth that the Lord will forgive those who repent and He will remember their sins no more.

 That is true, however, what we may not understand is that there is no way for us to repent of the people we could have met or helped, had we taken advantage of the opportunities given to us. We will, no-doubt, report to the Lord on those that slipped through the cracks when we weren't doing the best we could.

My goal is to be more pro-active! We are here to ACT! (See 2 Nephi 2:14,26) We can't be sitting around, wasting the days of our probation as Jacob teaches in 2 Nephi 9:27. Let's get up, get out, and DO.



I love you all so much and hope you have the best week in the world. I encourage you to study more on the topic of accountability and judgment. I know that, as we understand more and more, we are given a greater responsibility. How great is our calling :)

Love you!
Elder Jacobs