Wednesday, July 9, 2014

We Got Stuck in the Mud!


Hello all!
 This week was amazing, as usual. A trip to Bayawan, about a million rainstorms that I thought I was going to die in, and an adventure through a very flooded humayan. Just wait for this one…

We have a new Mission President! On Thursday the Zone Leaders relayed a workshop given by President at MLC. This was President McCurdy’s first workshop with the mission and it was great! He focused a lot on looking at the end from the beginning. 
Yep....rain....every day.
It is so important, as we begin new things and set goals, that we have a vision of where we want to end up. I have such a testimony of this. It actually reminded me of something my dad taught me. Growing up, we always took trips up to the snow to go skiing and snowboarding. Having three older brothers, sometimes I was pushed a little beyond my comfort zone relating to trying new things and improving the skill of snowboarding. I remember, whenever I wanted to (or even didn’t want to) try something new like a jump, box, or rail, my dad would always tell me to envision what I want to happen as I approach. It not only keeps us focused in the sense of knowing what we want to do, but it helps us focus on the positives and be optimistic of the outcome. I know that, as we have a vision of the end from the beginning, miracles will occur. I know that God’s foreknowledge gives Him the capacity to know the end of all from the beginning and vice versa.

Going to a members house for dinner!
Sunday was fast and testimony meeting and I don’t think I have ever been as tired as I was at the end of that day. I ate WAY TOO MUCH and felt like I was going to throw up for a little while after that. 

I am grateful, however, for the strengthening power we can all receive through the Atonement of Christ – even for little things like feeling sick after eating too much. I know that my Savior, Jesus Christ is in the work with me. We are shoulder to shoulder, hands on the plow. I love being a missionary.


Yesterday It POURED. Like… It was crazy. The entire morning and night before and then again later at night (last night). 

We went to visit one guy we met last week – his name was Carlo Bluebaby. Yup… Blue Baby. Haha turns out it was just a nickname, but I was impressed nonetheless. I can’t wait to name my children. Good thing I am getting lots of ideas over here..... Bluebaby, put-put, jun-jun, ice, etc. the list goes on.  
I Spy pineapples! Yum!

Later that night, we visited Eddie to see if we could teach his nephew and it turns out his sister’s entire family wants to start learning. We had a great lesson about families and the importance of finding the one truth in this confused world. We are returning to them a little later tonight. I can’t wait.

Okay… So I left something out. As we were leaving BlueBaby’s house, we had to cross a bunch of humayan (rice fields) to get back to the road. Like I said, it has been raining like crazy lately so all of the humayan were completely filled to the brim with water… and mud. 

We almost made it to the VERY END without anything tragic happening. Then the last 5 meters snuck up on us. You know in the movies where they step in a patch of mud and then keep walking but they don’t realize their shoe got stuck in the mud..? Yea. Use your imagination. It happened. With both shoes. I’m sorry mom and dad… 

Washing up before dinner...
But don’t worry, it gets better. Elder Rowley thought he made it all the way to the other side without too much damage. He decides he needed to wash the mud off of his hand so he reaches down to wash off, steps on a coconut he thought was solid, and completely falls in – up to his knees in mud and water. Hahaha this was honestly one of the funnier experiences I’ve had on the mission. I loved it. 

As we were washing off at Eddie’s house (very nearby), I couldn’t help but think of Tommy Boy. “These shoes are Italian, they’re worth more than your life.” Setting aside the fact that my shoes aren’t worth more than any person’s precious soul, I thought it was funny… :)

Cooking dinner.
We all know the difference between good and evil – . We know from Moroni (chapter 7) that the Light of Christ is given that we may judge. I know and have such a strong testimony that, as we increase in capacity to reflect the light of Christ, things become black and white. If we just learn to hearken to the voice of the spirit, we may receive more light, “and that light growth brighter and brighter until the perfect day” (D&C 50:24). We need to obey in order to receive increased capacity (D&C 93:28,39). Continue to repent – as the Prophet Joseph teaches in D&C 1:33. 

I am so grateful for this gift made available to all of us. I know that the Light of Christ IS NOT our conscience, but is the driving force that allows (if we allow it) our consciences to be sharpened. Something interesting to think about is the Sun and the Moon. If we think about how the moon receives her light, we know it is only by reflecting the sun’s light. Let’s look at it in a bigger picture. Christ is the Sun. We are the Moon. Think about that next time you stare up to the stars at night.

Delicious!!
I am so grateful for all of you! I love you all so much and hope you can let all of your light shine. I hope you have an amazing week. Be happy. Make someone else happy. Then return and report to the Lord :)

Love you all!!
Elder Jacobs






The headlamp comes in handy when we don't have electricity! Thanks Mom!