Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Hello Favorites!
This week was another unbelievably awesome week! Being a missionary is fun. It is also hard. But it's fun :) 
Being a missionary is FUN!!
Fun......




I was thinking about High School a lot this last week. I loved High School. I would give anything to do it again just for the fun of doing it again. But I realized that it was a different kind of fun. The mission is fulfilling - it is joyful. It's fun but it's lasting fun...which is joy. I have never gotten a single award in my entire life that could match up to the feeling of helping a person change their life and find a better life. That kind of joy is true happiness.It's real life. It matters. It feels so good to be doing something that really matters.
T
But this is lasting joy!!!
This week was great. Nothing too crazy, but amazing nonetheless.

Last week I mentioned how we were trying to incorporate service a lot more this transfer. Saturday we had another amazing opportunity to serve a family. Remember I said we washed the motorcycle the other day? Well, we set an appointment to return and build a garden for the Carreon Family! So, Saturday afternoon, Elder Rowley and I went out and built/planted a garden!
Thank you, mother, for all those times (I think 6) that you made me and Jon replant the garden in the backyard - My skills were truly honed for this one ;) 

We returned a few days later, and they allowed us to leave a short message with the family. And we are going back on Monday to have Family Home Evening. Service opens doors. Serving, with the right desire, is one of the single most important aspects of our lives. 

Sunday - Pure amazing. After church and meetings, we had some time to just visit some families in the branch. We didn't want to stay too long at a single member's house, so we were able to visit quite a few. We did two things: 1) Checked up on the family (how is school, work, annoying siblings, how we can help, etc) and 2) Left with a prayer. The prayers at each of these houses was incredible. The Spirit that was invited into the houses was unmatched. I am so grateful to have been able to just do something as simple as help a family feel their Father in Heaven's love for them. That's what people need. And you can do it too! Be worthy, make your home an environment where the Spirit can reside, and say a prayer with your family. I promise you that you won't regret it :)

Yesterday was so awesome! Not only did we have a very successful day lessons-wise, our investigators are doing so so well! I just want to mention two: Eddie and Joven. Eddie and Joven are both getting baptized very soon. Eddie is about 54 and Joven is 21. They are both experiencing HUGE changes in their lives, but I would just like to highlight one aspect that is common in both situations.

Scripture Study. Reading the Scriptures (especially the Book of Mormon) is a key in every single person's conversion. In Helaman 15:7, Samuel the Lamanite says it perfectly when he describes the steps to conversion. Gaining a testimony of the prophets through reading scriptures is KEY. 

As missionaries, we get lots of opportunities to talk, meet, and work with lots of different types of people. One thing that I have noticed is that in every single case that an investigator is progressing, they are studying their scriptures every day. They are not just doing it, but they are WANTING to do it. They have a desire and love to read.

 
I love this book.
Remember Devine? A few months ago in Pardo? We gave her a Book of Mormon the second time we met her. She finished the book in 2 weeks. The length of time doesn't matter, but the fact that she grew a desire to read every single day says a lot. Now Eddie. We gave Eddie a Book of Mormon the first time we met him, but due to lots of reasons, we were unable to meet with him for about a month. The second visit, he was in the Book of Jacob (about 120 pages in I think?). 

Joven is a little different story. Joven didn't do it right off the bat. He started about a week ago. After learning the correct way we should study, he now reads very day and uses a study journal. He is getting baptized along with Eddie in just a couple weeks. 

I hope we learned something about the role of scripture study in our conversion. Once we develop a pattern of regular studies, everything else follows. I promise you that! Learn to love to read. My mom always told me to read when I was younger. I did... sometimes... But I will be the first one to say that it wasn't my favorite thing to do. I can't even imagine how much more I could have understood now if I would have loved reading more earlier in my life! 

Future missionaries.....READ!!!! Start now!!



My delicious dinner...noodles and pancakes......



 My mom is a perfect example of that. I have learned from her to love the Book of Mormon. I can't go a day without reading. Try it! Read your scriptures every single day and see how you feel. According to Elder Bednar, there are at least 5 steps to conversion, but the first is reading the scriptures.

Awkward Story........
So, we left our apartment the other day in a hurry to grab something we needed for the service project we did. I think I left too quickly though because I forgot how badly I had to go the bathroom... 

Like.. Back row... or number 2, ya know? 

So we were already too far to turn back and it was BAD. Like I HAD to go. 

We were passing this auto shop and my first thought was to ask them if they had a bathroom I could use, but then I was like "Oh great it had to be at the biggest auto shop in town where all the 'tough guys' work. How awkward is that...? 

But, in my life I have learned that sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. "Mayong hapon kaninyong tanan! Naa ba'y C.R. diri?" (is there a bathroom here?) They then pointed to a toilet. You are probably all thinking how lucky I was, but think about it again... How could they just point to a toilet? 
Where's the toilet?



Yea... It was literally in the middle of just a little field. No walls. No nothing. I looked at it and said... "No... like.... kalibangon gud ko." (No... like... I need to GO!!!  BAD!!!). 





They then made arrangements very quickly to get me inside the next shop over to get to the bathroom. I am so grateful for all my best friends here in Siaton. They really look out for me ;) 

Ready to go!!



I am running out of time and I still feel like I have so much to say. Please know how much I know that this Gospel is true. There is no doubt anywhere. Just try it for yourself. Especially those that already know that it's what they should be doing. Please. Do the little things to get on the path to Eternal Life. I love you all so much. Strengthen yourself, then go out and strengthen others! Make someone's week :)

Love You!
Elder Jacobs

P.S. Some awesome food for thought: "A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation" (Joseph Smith).

P.P.S. Also, one step to developing that faith is knowing, without a doubt, that your course of life is pleasing in the sight of God. Any thoughts on that? How can we know 100% that our life is in align with God's will?

P.P.P.S. I love you all