Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Miracles Really Happen!

Hello to My Best Friends in the Whole Wide World!
How is everyone doing over there on the other side of the world?? Hopefully as awesome as I am, but for some reason I seriously doubt that. I am absolutely loving life.

I think the question that was in almost everyone's email was "How is your new companion???"
Elder Rowley is awesome!


Let me just answer that in one word: HE IS AWESOME. I know ...that was more than one word... but you get the point. 

Elder Rowley is such a stud and is going to be one amazing missionary. I am humbled and grateful that I was given the opportunity to be his first companion here in the Cebu Mission.

 Elder Rowley is from Apple Valley, California. He is awesome. He has had surgery on his knee a few times and just had a recent one in the MTC (which is why he was a little late getting here). But he is totally fine and can walk and do anything except play basketball or that kind of stuff. I am absolutely loving him though. He is the youngest in his family and played basketball and football in high school. He is not afraid to work hard and I love it. Every single day we come back DEAD tired.

Like most of you probably know, I had to go to Cebu last Wednesday so I didn't really have a P-Day last week. I picked up Elder Rowley and we had to wait a couple of days for President Schmutz to get back from a visit off island so that he could interview Elder Rowley. We went on exchanges with the ZL's in the city on Thursday and had our interview on Friday morning. It was awesome. I love and take full advantage of ANY personal time with President Schmutz. I love him and his wife so much.

*Side note* Friday: So whoever thought President sends all the missionaries he doesn't like to the farthest possible areas, THINK AGAIN! I'm convinced he likes me a little bit because he gave us permission to GO TO THE TEMPLE on Friday!!! For those that don't know, off island missionaries aren't allowed to go to the temple ever! Even if new missionaries come in! See mom, I knew my sad puppy dog face that Charlie taught me would benefit me later in life. Who knew it would have an even more ETERNAL benefit?? I love temples.




Speaking of my mom...remember a couple of weeks ago when I was in the forest at night and saw the lightening bugs? Well, my mom sent me this cool headlamp and told me to keep it with me in case I'm in the forest at night again!
Thanks mom.

She sent one for my companion too.




Let me just take an opportunity to tell you about a miracle. Remember last week? I mentioned briefly I had been praying that when we taught Eddie the Word of Wisdom, he would receive it with an open heart and mind?? Well we taught it. We started the lesson by introducing it. After about two sentences out of my mouth he said, "I have been praying to leave my drinking and smoking every since I met you. I don't know why, I just knew I shouldn't be doing it." 
On our way to Eddie's...you go down this path....

 Eddie is amazing. After explaining why it is so important that we clean our bodies of these things, we committed him to live the Word of Wisdom starting THAT day. Zero tolerance. 

He said he would do it. On a follow up visit the next day and again a few days later, we asked him how it was going. He said he has no idea how, but that everything was gone and he had zero desire to even go back to it. 

Eddie is 100% clean from these horrible, harmful substances in his body. He said something that I won't forget in that follow up lesson. He said, "I think there was power in the words that you said. I have tried to stop smoking before, but I was never able to do it. From the moment you told me to stop, I haven't even desired to return to that harmful habit." 

And then you walk way over there....
We took this opportunity to talk about two things: Priesthood Power and Miracles. At the end of that lesson, Eddie wanted a Priesthood blessing and it was a wonderful experience. 

Brothers and Sisters! Miracles are real. The only reason you might not have seen or experienced miracles has to do with one roadblock: Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Read Ether 12 a few times. Then Mormon 9:20. 

We learn that there are three things that hold back miracles: 1) Faith in the Lord 2) Disobedience or wrong traditions of our fathers and 3) Having an incorrect interpretation of who we trust and who we worship. I want everyone to have the opportunity to see miracles in their own lives. I know it's possible. I know it.  If you are lacking in any of these three areas, fix it now! Don't complain that you haven't had a miracle happen; just fix the problem and trust in Him!




I love this picture on the right......

Doesn't it seem like if you look hard enough you will see the Savior in the cloud at the top?

Someday we will!!






Something funny happened last week and Ive been laughing about it ever since.... Hahah So we were walking out in a place that was pretty far from the closest real civilization - it is probably safe to say that not a lot of people there have seen a real white person...
I'm definitely a person!!!
We passed these kids (probably about 9 and 10 years old). 
One says: "Oi! Tanawa! Naa'y Americano!!" (Hey Look there's an American!) 
The younger one responds: "Dili kadto Americano... Tawo lagi man na!" (That's not an American... That's DEFINITELY a person!) 

HAHAHAH sooo.... there's some news for ya'll: Americans are not considered people in some parts of the island here!!

Next story! Last night, we got some food on the way home and I tried something new. Pictures will come later, but it sufficeth me to say that it was a chicken intestine on a stick. Barbecued. It gets better... I can honestly say it was one of my favorite things I have had since I have been here. It was SOOO GOOOD!!! That's gunna be a regular from now on. Add it to the list of things to cook when I get home.





We won't be taking the shortcut through this creepy cemetery at night again any time soon.....

Alright, well I love you all so much. I miss you, but I know you are fine and I am too. I know that miracles are real. I know that we limit ourselves when we lack faith in Jesus Christ and understanding of His gospel. If you want to learn more about faith, miracles and understanding, find a couple of guys wearing white shirts and name badges and talk to them!!! Have an amazing week and try to look for the miracles in your own lives. Smile, be happy, and make someone's day.
Love,
Elder Jacobs