Wednesday, May 7, 2014

You can help the people here in the Philippines...here's how....

HELLOOO THERE!

Before I tell you about my week here I want to let you know about a service project my mom and Aimiee Jones are organizing!! 
As you know by now, the people I am serving here in the Philippines are kind, hardworking people. They work day and night providing food for their families. They do without so much. So many of the people I meet want to read but cannot due to poor eyesight. They cannot afford reading glasses. So my mom and Aimiee are collecting your old reading glasses to send to me here in the Philippines. The other missionaries and I will share these glasses with those who need them!! Just think how a pair of glasses could completely change a life and the lives of a family! 

Contact my mom at billjacobs5@gmail.com
if you would like to donate a pair or two! Please help us!




Okay....about my week here....Elder Tavui and I went out to Liko-Liko both Thursday and friday night because Liza's baptism was scheduled for Saturday. So, in order to just make sure everything was still good to go, we always visit the few days before. 

Liza was doing as awesome as a 10 year old Filipina that is getting baptized in the true Church of Jesus Christ could be - BETTER THAN EVER  :) 

Okay, side note- Liko-Liko is pretty out there. Like, bukid. (translation = "Like, mountain forest"). 

I am being 100% honest when I say that I think I met Tinkerbell. About 1000 of them actually. Remember I said this place was like Disneyland (the Jungle Cruise)?? There are lightning bugs EVERYWHERE in the forest. They are tiny (like as big as a gnat) bugs that fly around and flicker. Coolest. Night. Ever.     (Comment from Jimmy's mom........What in the world is Jimmy doing in the mountain forest AT NIGHT????? Yikes! Not gonna think about that....)

Saturday - BAPTISM! Heyyooooo Liza did great. She was a superstar.

Elder Tavui baptized her and the spirit was so strong. One of our investigators came. Eddie is a 54 year old man with LONG hair. He reminds me of that uncle in Spy Kids. I think... I haven't seen that movie in forever. Does he have long hair?

So this... older... big... man came to the baptism of a wonderful little girl. After the baptism, we taught Eddie at his house. The first thing he asked us: "How many times do I have to go to church in order to be baptized like that?" HELLOOO. How much do you love that question as a missionary??  Eddie is doing great and progressing spectacularly.

Later Saturday night, we met with the Jamosmos Family in order to finish up our discussion on the Aaronic Priesthood. Remember Juliebert was supposed to be ordained this Sunday?

Turns out, he was very scared. Being a 13 yr old new member, he felt like he didn't know enough to be entrusted with something as big as the Priesthood. We taught a little bit, but then I just had a prompting that went something along the lines of, "Promise in the name of Jesus Christ. Just promise." I didn't know what I was supposed to promise. I then invited Juliebert and his family to pray as a family after we left. I promised him as representatives of Jesus Christ, that if they prayed that night as a family and asked our Heavenly Father if it was His will to have Juliebert proceed, they would receive an answer that night. THAT night.
Anyone familiar with prayer knows and understands that answers are not something we are in control of. They are given on the Lord's time. But, I was prompted to promise them.... To be continued...

On Sunday Liza got confirmed. She was great. Eddie (and some others) were at church. They were great. Juliebert came to church and I asked him if he wanted to continue, he just said "yup" but didn't share anything with me. So, he got ordained to the office of Deacon in the Aaronic Priesthood. I was wondering why he didn't share anymore... Did the prayer get answered?? Did they even pray?? 

****BREAK**** Funny story.
It was Fast and Testimony on Sunday, so of course there were people bearing testimonies. (Hahah this one is for Blake, Kyle and all those who understand ;) ....One newer member comes up to bear his testimony. It was a great powerful testimony - I could feel that he was experiencing a change in his life. Typically at the end of testimonies you say something along the lines of "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
Well... He did say that. Then added some more. To finish, he said, "In the name of Jesus Christ, Thomas S. Monson, and Joseph Smith, Amen." Haha! It made my week. 

Monday - TRAANSSFFFEEERRRR MEETINGGGG. So................... I'm getting transferred.

To the other side of my bedroom.

 I'll probably take Elder Tavui's bed now that HE IS LEAVING ME :( I'm not getting transferred. I get to stay here in Siaton for another transfer and what's even better???
Good thing I learned how to sew.......
My new companion's name is.... Jeff.

Hahahha he is a branch missionary from Bayawan (about an hour away). He will be working with me while MY ANAK (Son) new junior companion takes care of some last minute things in the Provo MTC and flies over here.

Yeppers! I'm training the only American that's coming in with this batch. Hahah should be a party. There are 12 in the batch coming in but 11 are Filipino and 1 is coming from Provo. I'm stoked. Can't wait.

 We were visiting the Jamosmos Family last night. We were discussing the principle and commandment of prayer when Tatay Jamosmos shared their experience. He said after we left that night, they prayed as a family. He said they all knelt down and prayed for Juliebert - that he would be able to receive a witness that he needed to move forward. They all said they have never felt like they felt that night - immediately after the prayer. It was a calm, overwhelming peace that came over the entire family. Every single one of them felt it. They said the spirit has never been as strong as it was that night in their house. Juliebert said his fear was taken away immediately and he just knew he needed to do it.

Elders, brothers, sisters, everyone... I know that miracles are real. I know that they happen. I know that, as missionaries, we are literally representatives of Jesus Christ. I know that His power is real and it is called Priesthood. This was an amazing experience. I am grateful that Heavenly Father backed me up when I promised that a prayer would be answered.

Loving simple joys.
I know that His angels are round about us always. I know that miracles are possible and are brought about by our faith. They have not stopped just because Christ has gone to Heaven. Moroni 7:27, 37. A good friend and fellow servant always said, "I plead with you to live your religion," (Brigham Young). As we have faith and press forward with a perfect brightness of hope, we are living our religion. Be the miracle for someone else this week. I love you all so much!!! Have an amazing week <3

Love,
Elder Jacobs