Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Kamusta man mo diha sa inyong mga kinabuhi???

So I just realized that I am not very good at sharing this beautiful language that I am learning with you all. I apologize. Haha I'll try and throw some bits and pieces in here and there :) 

This week was CRAZY. Again. If you remember last week, that was a crazy one as well. 

Friday - We had Zone Conference down in Dumaguete (we call it Dumz sometimes if we feel like being cool) so we got to meet with and hear from our beloved President Schmutz, his wife, and assistants. I love them all.
                      It was such a fun day on Friday. All of the missionaries on Negros were there - so about 80 of us. 

Saturday - AAHHH BAPTISMS GALORE!!! We had 6 kids that got baptized on Saturday.
Wait, let me just say that again. Unom ka buok.



They are awesome and I love every single one of them. So Elder Samon and I had three: Lomer, Barbie, and Juliebert. Elder Samon baptized them! Then, the Sister Bishun and Sister Minguez had three as well: Emily (13), Elvira (10), and Jinky (9).

I had the amazing opportunity to baptize them. It was an unbelievable experience. All three of their families have been less active for a little while and they are all starting to really turn their lives around.

Two funny stories about Saturday:

First of all - and I take full responsibility for not checking wayyy beforehand - two of the kids size baptismal clothing were broken.
Haha the zippers wouldn't zip at all! I did text President last week to make sure that we had clothing and everything, but I made the mistake of not checking the clothing until the day of the baptism.

Sooo here we are 30 minutes before the baptism is supposed to start with two broken zippers! I think it was the quickest I've ever thought. I knew there was a clothing repair shop down the road (they are everywhere in the Philippines) and so I grabbed the clothes, grabbed Elder Samon and started running. Hahaha we got to repair shop and I explained the story as quickly as I could and basically asked for a miracle.

They were SO NICE. They took them right away, one lady ran to the store to buy new zippers, and - long story less long - the jumpsuits were fixed in 25 minutes. I. Love. These. People.

Okay, second story. Jinky is 9 years old and VERY VERY small. Haha she is so cute. When I was standing in the water with her, and I promise you, the water came up to her neck! It was the cutest thing ever. When I baptized her, I don't think I really even moved my arms more than a couple of inches to completely submerse her in the water. It was a one-of-a-kind experience. Especially because these children are so much closer to the veil than we are. The entire baptism was so spiritual. The Holy Ghost touched everyone's heart that attended.

Sunday - At church on Sunday, Lomer, Barbie, and Juliebert
were all confirmed and they all received the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Emily, Elvira, and Jinky and their family were a little bit late and so we had to postpone their confirmation to this next Sunday. I'm excited for them!






After church, I actually had to rush home and pack some things because I was going to Cebu to go to the doctors. Sister Schmutz wanted to get this weird rash checked out over at the nice hospital. So I actually traveled down to Dumaguete with the AP's, President and Sister Schmutz, and a couple of their friends that were visiting.






A HUGE storm came in that afternoon and we didn't think we were gunna be able to make it to Cebu, but the barge still was in operation so we (the AP's and I) drove on and started across to the other island. There were waves crashing over the side of these huge walls. It was unreal. Super fun actually (after you got over the scared-of-drowning factor). So we continued on and got to Cebu later that night around 9pm.



Monday - So the doctor was closed on Monday so I went out and worked with some elders in Mabolo. It was so great to get out and work with them.

Tuesday - Okay here's the fun one. So, first things first. We got up early
and I went and played basketball with the AP's (AP = Assistants to the President) but the awesome part was that President came down and played with us. It was so fun. I love President Schmutz.

 I went to the doctor later and finished around noon. She said we just need to give the meds some time. So I got the okay to travel back to my area on Negros!

Usually always we have a companion with us, but President okay-ed it for me to travel the 6 hours back by myself. So I get to the bus and everything was going great until we got about 2 hours out and the bus breaks down. Hahah it was... greattt. We ended up waiting for 4 hours..... 4!!!!

 Finally, around 8 o'clock, another bus came and picked us up so we could travel the rest of the way.I actually had a very neat experience which I want to comment on here...

I met a man named Oscar. He is from Canada and was the only other white person on the bus other than myself. Turns out he is a diver, works for an airline company, and travels the world to dive in the ocean.

I want to discuss something we talked about. Of course, I am a missionary, so every conversation I have with anyone will inevitably lead to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Oscar is an atheist. He doesn't believe in God. This experience was a HUGE testimony builder for me.

Just last week, I studied the story of Alma and Korihor in the Book of Mormon. It's found in Alma chapter 30. Korihor is an atheist. When I studied about this, I focused on the doctrine of faith. What exactly is faith? Brigham Young said, we must "believe the truth, obey the truth, and practice the truth, to obtain the power of God called faith." Faith is a gift. We cannot receive it until we show our willingness to believe the truth when we hear it.

Let's relate this to Korihor. Korihor had NO desire to believe Alma when he said that there was a God. Alma even used the beautiful wonders of the world to help Korihor understand (Alma 30:44) but he just would not believe anything. In verse 48 we see that Korihor just doesn't have the desire to believe.

I invited Oscar to learn more about the message of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. His answer was, "nah I'm okay in my life right now." I talked a little bit about later in life and he said, "maybe one day I will be interested.. Probably on my deathbed."
I can only hope that Oscar will be led to this Gospel before it grows to late. We are here in this life for a reason. Even though diving and traveling the world are great hobbies, that is not the purpose of life, that is not what we are here on earth to do.
 I want to testify that I know my purpose. I know where I came from, why I'm here, and I know where I am going after this life. I love my Savior and his teachings. I know that this church is the only true and complete gospel of Jesus Christ.  I love you all. I love Oscar. I can only hope and pray that one day, a light will spark. One day, he will ponder something I shared and he will want to know more.

I love you all so very much. I hope you have the best week EVER. I am doing so so so so so so great here in Siaton and am so excited for this next transfer. Love you!!!! Kita kits sa sunod nga semana :)

Love,
Elder Jacobs